This past November, Community Collision in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, engaged Rely On Technologies to install a new Garmat 3000 downdraft paint booth. Unique for this client – though not unique to Rely On – is that Community Collision is in close proximity to a grade school, which presents its own hurdle when seeking permits from the city.
In our experience, auto body centers require special consideration when near schools. Often, city departments not only require extensive filtration, but also mailings, notifications, and updates to be sent to school leadership, staff, and every family involved. This is nothing new for Rely On. We take the necessary steps to ensure air quality not only for our clients, but for neighboring families as well.
As required by Southcoast AQMD, any new equipment to a shop within a quarter mile of a K-12 school requires a public notice. The steps from beginning to end include:
- We receive a public notice from AQMD that needs to be distributed to the school(s) and all residences within that quarter mile radius.
- We reach out to the school(s) and receive approval on how to handle their letter distribution to school families (e.g., direct mail, the school will distribute themselves, etc.).
- We receive a saturation list of the residences within the quarter mile.
- We print copies the public letter for the school per their specifications.
- We print additional copies of the letter for the residential portion of the mailing. The same mailing house who produces the copies will typically manage the mailing as well.
- Once the letters have been distributed, a 30-day comment period begins for the public to ask questions/raise concerns about the project.
- If all goes smoothly, the permit to construct gets approved following the comment period and the build continues as normal.
The new paint booth (with a Garmat paint mix room) went in without a hitch and without any issue caused by what could have been obstacles due to the neighboring schools. To further ensure a smooth process and clean installation, we were on site every day with the client.
As expected, the new installation was completed on time and with all permitting approved. If you are looking to install a new booth but are concerned about schools and residential areas in close proximity, then give Rely On a call and allow our experience to do the work for you!